February 8, 2013

FoE Introduction

The Fellowship of Excellence is a group of persons seeking excellence in all areas of life. This goal is both personal and global. There are core beliefs shared by all members of the FoE. These beliefs build upon one another. The foundational beliefs are:

~ No-one Knows Everything ~

No matter how much I would like to, there is no possible way for me to know all there is. Thus, it stands to reason that everything I believe is subject to change as I learn new things. This belief underlies all other beliefs I have. At the same time, this also means no one else knows everything either. We all learn and grow together, and are all subject to being right, and wrong.

The benefit of this belief as the most important foundational belief is that it means it is alright for me to be wrong. My beliefs change according to supporting evidence; be it logical reasoning, experimental results, or personal experience. The more evidence there is for something, the stronger the belief. If the evidence changes to no longer support an old belief, then it is okay to change my beliefs based on the evidence there is.

~ Experience Is Unique ~

My personal experience in life is formed by many things. Among them are my thoughts and emotions, the situations and events I find myself in and at, and my free will to make the choices I deem to be the best I can from moment to moment. These things form the experience of my life. My personal experience is what truly makes me unique in all of existence. No one else will ever be in exactly the same situations, and have the exact same thoughts and feelings.  My unique experience is the way in which I am unique; and so are you.

~ Experience Has Structure ~

Experience is not random; it has structure that can be learned, trained, developed, changed, taught, modeled, and much more. This fact allows me to grow in all areas of my life; as a person. I am not stuck with any parts of my life I do not want. Because my choices all have their reasons, this means they are based on a personal structure. My personal structure is constantly in a state of being redefined, and as such, my experience is in a state of continual creation. By my choices, I define myself from moment to moment.

~ Mastery Is Achievable, Perfection Is Not ~

 Since perfection is subjective, my definition of what perfection is changes as I change. Because of this, the closer I get to reaching perfection the more likely it is that my definition of perfection will change. Thus, to seek perfection is to set myself up for disappointment.
Mastery is achievable as it is a measure of proficiency. Once I have reached a level of mastery, it becomes easier to see what else I can master next. Sometimes, this is further mastery of a single discipline, other times it is something completely different. Mastery is not a destination, but a way point of accomplishment along the road of life.

~ Pursuit of Excellence Leads To Mastery ~

In whatever I seek to do, I want to be good at it. "Anything worth doing, is worth doing badly... at first." (~unknown) To master something (anything), you must pursue excellence in it. Thus, excellence itself in whatever I choose to do, is the object of my dedication. When I am kind to someone, I seek to do so more excellently than I have before. When I cook breakfast, I seek to do so more excellently than I have before.

~ Everyone Is Uniquely Excellent ~

Just like every individual has a completely unique life experience, so every individual also has a different idea of what is excellent to them. This means that everyone has a unique excellence within them which can be expressed, grown, taught, learned from, and nurtured. People are excellent individuals no matter what race, gender, age, or other perceived segregation label is applied.

Not all seek to develop or improve their experience in life. The choice is theirs and should be honored whatever it may be. It is my honor to make my own excellent choices, and help others in their pursuit of personal excellence by sharing what I know to help them improve their lives. This is the point of sharing my version of excellence, as well as being open to the excellence others share with me.

 <> <> <>

Members of the Fellowship of Excellence seek to continue creating excellent life experiences. Another common belief is that every society is made up of a diverse collection of individuals. If you help individuals to develop excellence within themselves, you help society as a whole to become more excellent.

This is the heart of the Fellowship of Excellence; a fellowship of like-minded persons helping each other develop personal excellence in all areas of life.

Comments, questions and discussion is gratefully welcomed at the G+ community, Fellowship of Excellence. If you feel inclined to do so, please join us there!

Welcome!